Clarence Valley Independent

Considering Christmas lights? Think electrical safety first!

Essential Energy want people to consider basic safety checks to prevent electrical incidents prior to installing do-it-yourself Christmas displays.

As the festive season fast approaches and the decorations come out of storage, Essential Energy want those who install do-it-yourself Christmas displays to think first about some basic safety checks to prevent electrical incidents.

Acting Regional Manager Ross Berry, North Coast said putting electricity safety measures in place prior to hanging decorations could provide peace of mind for a safe holiday season.

“Ensure the home, garage and workshops are fitted with safety switches such as Residual Current Devices (RCD) or Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers to reduce the likelihood of electric shock,” Mr Berry said.

When installing lights or illuminated decorations, check for damaged or frayed cords prior to use and always follow the installation instructions. Turn off power points or light switches before replacing light bulbs and minimise the use of extension leads when organising the display.

“Be aware of the location of service lines and electrical wiring within the work space when installing Christmas lights or displays on rooftops. Do not cut, drill or hammer into rooftops, walls, floors or ceilings before thoroughly checking for electrical wires,” Mr Berry said.

“Take the opportunity when installing a Christmas light display to educate children of the importance of electrical safety and the danger of damaging electrical equipment. Show family members the location of the main switchboard in the case of an emergency where the power may need to be disconnected.”

“Fit spare outlets on power boards with safety plugs to prevent children placing objects in the sockets; and don’t overload power points with more than one adapter. Ultimately, the safety of you and your loved ones will ensure you can enjoy the holiday season with them,” Mr Berry said.

In the event of a suspected electrical shock, do not attempt to touch the person until the power has been disconnected. Provide first aid when it is safe to do so and always seek medical attention afterwards.

For more information on electrical safety, visit essentialenergy.com.au/safety.

Share this post

PinIt

Now you’re here …

… the Independent would like to ask for your support. The community is reading our paper more than ever and embracing the content we produce, but advertising revenues across the media as a whole, are falling. Unlike other news organizations we do not charge for our publication – so, to keep our community connected and deliver the local news to your door we would like to ask for your help..... to keep the Independent bringing you all the local community news takes a lot of time, hard work and people power, But we do it because we believe our presence matters – who else tells it how it is, where it is, and what it is.

If you like our journalism, if you like the community news, if you like our sports coverage we would love it if you could help fund it, our future may depend on it. For as little as $5, you can support the Independent – Thank you.


ADVERTISEMENT

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK

Facebook By Weblizar Powered By Weblizar

instagram